Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pulse Heavy Vegetarian Chili



Veggie Chili – pulse racing stuff


I saw a post on yesterday 101 Cookbooks and as I had just found some pearl barley the week before I was keen to put it to good use. Also I love a big bowl of chili, very satisfying. I love my pulses, especially when they’re accompanied by a good kick of chili

1 huge onion (1cm squares)
Several carrots
3 sticks of celery – finely sliced
1 cup of brown lentils
1 cup of bulghur wheat
1 cup of pearly barley
1 big red chili
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
Several bay leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
Cayenne pepper
1 tin tomatoes
Veg stock
4 cloves of garlic - minced
1 ½ inch of ginger finely grated

Soften the onion and garlic in some oil along with the chili. Then stir in the spices, after 1 min or so, then add in the carrots. Fry off for about two mins before adding the lentils, barley, and tin tomatoes and bulghur wheat, mix thoroughly then add in enough stock to cover entirely.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 35-45 mins until the lentils are tender. Add in some cayenne pepper to taste.

If I was making this again – I’d like to add in a cup full of orange lentils – and maybe reduce the pearl barley a little to possibly ¾ of a cup. Maybe substitute red peppers for the carrots –but alas I had none. This actually produces a HUGE amount of chili – so possibly half the ingredients if you‘re not feeding a small army. The above amounts serves around 6/8

Serve with some grated cheese and baked tortilla chips like these babies

No comments: