Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rhubarb & Almond Cake

A la Daily Spud I've been reading The Daily Spud for over a year now. It's where I learned of the heavenly combination of spud and harissa, and it's where I got the recipe for this super lovely cake. It's a perfect combination of almondy sweet sponge and tart rhubarb. I made it for my parents and then made it again the following weekend for our dinner party. Set out in the middle of the table it looks like we're having a kids party - great.
Here's the spuds version I followed the recipe to the letter but I'll re-write the recipe anyways

180g butter

180 g ground almonds

180g self raising flour

180g of caster sugar (so far so easy to remember)

360g rhubarb cut in good fine chunks

1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

1 egg

1 egg yolk
Icing sugar for looking fancy at the end

Grease a 20cm loose bottomed round tin, and line the sides with baking parchment and
pre-heat your oven to gas mark 5. In a pan melt the butter. In a large bowl, sift the flour and then mix in the almonds, ground cinnamon and sugar. Combine your egg and the egg yolk. Pour the melted butter over the flour and mix, then add in the egg. When you mix all of this together, you'll get a thick ball of cake batter- don't be alarmed this is the plan.

Spread half of this over the bottom of your tin. Then toss in the rhubarb.
Add the rest of the cake mixture on top. You may need to do some subtle squishing here and there to ensure you cover as much of the fruit as you can, but a few little bits sticking out here and there is fine. Bake for an hour until the top is a rich golden brown colour. We served this with cream, but would be divine with some nice vanilla ice-cream especially if it was still warm from the oven.... Writing this is making me a little sad that it's all gone nowThat is pretty much our entire crop of red-currants on top of that cake!! Stupid slugs

2 comments:

Daily Spud said...

I am truly flattered, you have done me proud. I love the redcurrants on top - your entire crop, no less - and I'm with you on raising a big fist to slugs everywhere.

L said...

in fairness, some of them went on the chocolate cake...

http://lola-luskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/squidgy-chocolate-birthday-cake.html

Still though, not a single raspberry survived!