Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Roast Pear & Parsnip Soup

The Bare Necessities

My sister in law Jessica is the healthiest person I know. She's a veggie who rarely indulges in sugar, wheat or dairy and as a result she is never sick, has a figure that I would kill for and perfect, skin, hair, teeth etc etc. Her two year old has never had a cold or any other ailment in her life. Go figure...
 
Anyway, Jessica is also a great cook and over the years has become adept at making delicious recipes with none of the naughty stuff included, but you would hardly know. I'm talking baked goods here, chocolate brownies, muffins and the like with no sugar wheat or dairy but still amazingly light and delish. (I'm angling for a guest blog from her some time soon!). I was telling her about our vegetable box and the fact that we had a surplus of parsnips, and she suggested I try making pear and parsnip soup. So I did, and here is my version of what sounds like a strange combination... its pretty sweet but if you don't eat any refined sugar I guess it could be a nice treat if you have a sweet craving. In typical me - style, I ate it with toast slathered in butter and melted cheese, which kind of defeats the purpose of such a healthy, satisfying and filling soup.
 
Ingredients
1 onion
6-8 parsnips
1 pear
1 ltr veg stock 
salt & pepper
Cut up the onion into 8ths, peel the parsnips and cut them lengthwise into quarters and then cut these quarters in half. Cut the pear in half and remove the core. Place everything on a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in a hot oven for about 3/4 of an hour until the parsnips are soft all the way through.

Transfer to a large saucepan and add the hot stock. Using a stick blender, whizz everything together until smooth. If you think it's too thick, add more stock. Season to taste.

Reheat and serve!

6 comments:

aoife mc said...

I love the idea of pear and parsnip together...going to give this a whirl after Texas. Lord knows I'll need the veggie health after a ten day diet of breakfast burritos and chilli dogs.

Lu said...

Wow! Enjoy all the food - sure there is going to be amazing food, as well as more amazing bands, hae a great time, I wanna see some pictures!

Anonymous said...

I too eat very healthy! Lots of food intolerances.....but i could make you a lassage that is dairy and wheat free and you would love it!

SJ said...

I made this soup last night and its delicious! Have a jog in the fridge for this evening can't wait .. am going to add some chilli flakes too as they go great with parsnip usually.
Would love some more healthy recipes that a bit unusual like this one ... Thanks

SJ said...

that should have been JUG !

Lu said...

Hey Anon - bet I would be good - what's your secret to keep it dairy free?

Hey Sarah Jane - glad you liked it - I'm sure some chilli flakes would be a great addition - hot and sweet. We've a fair amount of healthy and tasty recipes on the blog - just look under healthy in the keywords - hope my definition of healthy is the same as yours!!