Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Guest Chef no.2

Lu's Mum - Braised Red Cabbage

I was about to write this recipe like I'd cooked it - but I didn't. When I arrived home to Limerick on the train this Friday night - it was waiting for me - along some bangers and mash. It's one of my favourite ways to prepare a vegetable - a could eat an entire bowl - piping hot! The only other place I've seen red cabbage recently is inside a kebab.

The recipe is edited by my mum - but originates from the Paupers Cookbook by Jocasta Innes - first published in 1971. Having a quick flick through it mentions unpasteurised milk and tongue, which have slipped off my everyday radar. Though it gives some shopping lists and then provides recipes for the whole week - using up leftovers from previous days etc which is pretty interesting. I did spot a nice recipe for homemade yogurt - which I wouldn't mind trying
Back to the point -

Ingredients
1 small head of red cabbage - finely sliced
1 large onion - diced
1 large cooking apple - cored and chopped
2 oz butter
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of vinegar
6 cloves
Salt
Pepper

In a pan - melt the butter, then add in your vegetables and apple until they are evenly coated. Then stir in the sugar, cloves and vinegar. Cover with a well fitting lid, turn down the heat and leave to cook for 1.5 hours.

When cooked it's sweet and spicy and the most beautiful deep purple. I can't think of any dish right now that has such strong colour, well apart from beetroot. Great with bangers and mash. This vegetable dish improves with time - giving the flavours time to deepen - so cook loads and eat it today and tomorrow - you'll want to!

5 comments:

Alexandra Donald said...

Looks delicious!

Lisa McGee said...

Looks delicious and so good for these wintery evenings - will put on my list to cook up soon!

Lu said...

Hey Alex - yup its good for the veggies alright

Nenagh Gal - yeah get it on the list - perfect for the november evenings

Lu said...

Hey Anon - if you're looking for food related sites - I'd have a look at www.bbc.co.uk/food - or www.tastespotting.com

otherwise I use google to search for most things- hope that helps!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.